- Dynamic capabilities and the internationalisation of born-global firms
- I was the team leader of this three year project which was funded by a prestigious large ARC Discovery Grant (2005). This joint project with the Florida State University, USA in its first stage (qualitative phase) examined how dynamic capabilities of born global are built nurtured by their internationally entrepreneurial founders. In the second stage (mail survey) a cross national study of Australian and US born global firms was undertaken to examine cross-national differences in dynamic capabilities, their impact on the accelerated internationalization and large versus small market effects on firm early internationalization. Several conference papers and a journal article in the JWB special issue have been published. A paper based on the findings of this project was presented at a state-of-the-art session in born global firm internationalization at the AIB 2011 Conference, Rio De Janeiro, Brazil.
- Entrepreneurship and innovation-based competitive strategy
- My doctoral study examined the role of entrepreneurship and learning capabilities in organizational innovation-based competitive strategy. A large number of conference papers have been published from the research findings and journal articles have been published in Journal of Business Research (2006) European Journal of Marketing (2003), Journal of Strategic Marketing (2003) International Marketing Review (2006) and Industrial Marketing Management (2004). In 2011 I co-edited a special issue on ‘Capabilities, Innovation and Competitive Advantage’ in Industrial Marketing Management journal. Currently I have a doctoral study examining the role of dynamic capabilities in HR innovation-based competitive strategy.
- High-tech and Entrepreneurial Marketing
- This research stream examines the challenges faced by high-tech start-up firms in reaching viable market segments; popularly known as ‘cross the chasm’ and role of entrepreneurial market development strategies in that process. Our 2012 European Journal of Marketing paper which reports the findings based on both high-tech and low-tech firms in our ARC Discovery project suggests that the ‘chasm’ is common to many resource constrained start-up firms. Our findings suggest that start-up have to adapt entrepreneurial marketing strategies to cross the chasm. I have actively contributed to the annual symposium in this search area pioneered by Professor Jerry Hill of University Illinois at Chicago. At the ANZMAC Conference 2006, I chaired a special topic session on entrepreneurial marketing which was well attended. Currently I have a doctoral study under my supervision that examines the market development strategies adopted by high-tech start-ups in India.
- New service development (NSD)-based competitive strategy
- Collaborative research in new service development with Professor Janet McColl-Kennedy (UQ Business School) and Dr Sandeep Salunke (Queensland University of Technology) has been very productive. In 2001 my conceptual paper (with Janet McColl-Kenedy) won the best paper runner-up award at the American Marketing Association's Services Special Group Conference, Sydney.. A subsequent doctoral study examined the role of dynamic capabilities in service innovation-based competitive strategy in project-oriented service firms. From this study two papers have been published in JBR and IMM.
- Social entrepreneurship, innovation and social value creation
- This collaborative research with Professor Gillian Sullivan Mort, funded by a UQ Development Grant in 2003 has been very productive. It has resulted in a trilogy of papers examining different strategic aspects of social purpose organizations. These papers are; ‘Social entrepreneurship and non-profit competitive strategy: Innovation and differentiation’, Journal of Public Policy and Marketing (2012) Sustainability of non-profit organizations: An empirical investigation Journal of World Business, (2010) and ‘Investigating Social Entrepreneurship: A Multidimensional Model’ Journal of World Business (2006). At the recent Social Entrepreneurship research colloquium held at the Said Business School, Oxford University I presented a plenary session on ‘Advancing Social Entrepreneurship research: Towards a mid-range theory’.
- Weerawardena, Jay, Sullivan Mort, Gillian and Liesch, Peter W. (2017) Capabilities development and deployment activities in born global B-to-B firms for early entry into international markets. Industrial Marketing Management, . doi:10.1016/j.indmarman.2017.06.004
- Amarakoon, Upamali, Weerawardena, Jay and Verreynne, Martie-Louise (2016) Learning capabilities, human resource management innovation and competitive advantage. The International Journal of Human Resource Management, 1-31. doi:10.1080/09585192.2016.1209228
- McDonald, Robert E., Weerawardena, Jay., Madhavaram, Sreedhar. and Sullivan Mort, Gillian. (2015) From “virtuous” to “pragmatic” pursuit of social mission: A sustainability-based typology of nonprofit organizations and corresponding strategies. Management Research Review, 38 9: 970-991. doi:10.1108/MRR-11-2013-0262
- Weerawardena, Jay, Mort, Gillian Sullivan, Salunke, Sandeep, Knight, Gary and Liesch, Peter W. (2014) The role of the market sub-system and the socio-technical sub-system in innovation and firm performance: a dynamic capabilities approach. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, . doi:10.1007/s11747-014-0382-9
- Amarakoon, Upamali, Weerawardena, Jay and Verreynne, Martie-Louise (2013) Competitive advantage through HR innovation. The European Business Review, 70-72.
- Salunke, Sandeep, Weerawardena, Jay and McColl-Kennedy, Janet R. (2013) Competing through service innovation: the role of bricolage and entrepreneurship in project-oriented firms. Journal of Business Research, 66 8: 1085-1097. doi:10.1016/j.jbusres.2012.03.005
- Amarakoon, Upamali, Weerawardena, Jay and Verreynne, Martie-Louise (2013). Theorising about the role of HR innovation in the competitive advantage of firms. In: Per Davidsson, Conference proceedings: Australian Centre for Entrepreneurship Research Exchange Conference 2013. Australian Centre for Entrepreneurship Research Exchange Conference 2013, Brisbane, Australia, (). 6 - 8 February 2013.
- Amarakoon, Upamali, Weerawardena, Jay and Verreynne, Martie-Louise (2013). HR innovation and competitive advantage: Towards an integrated framework. In: Southern Management Association: 2013 Meeting Proceedings. SMA 2013: Southern Management Association Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA, USA, (936-936). 5-9 November, 2013.
- Amarakoon, Upamali, Weerawardena, Jay and Verreynne, Martie-Louise (2013). HR innovation for competitive advantage: insights from Australia. In: Carolin Rekar Munro, Proceedings of the 3rd Annual International Conference on Human Resource Management and Professional Development in the Digital Age (HRM&PD 2013). HRM&PD2013: 3rd Human Resource Management and Professional Development in the Digital Age, Singapore, (25-28). 22-23 July, 2013. doi:10.5176/2251-2349_HRMPD13.09
- Weerawardena, Jay and Sullivan Mort, Gillian (2012) Competitive strategy in socially entrepreneurial nonprofit organizations: innovation and differentiation. Journal of Public Policy and Marketing, 31 1: 91-101. doi:10.1509/jppm.11.034
- Member, Academy of Marketing Science, USA
- Member, American Marketing Association, USA (MAMA)
- Member, Academy of Management, USA
- Associate Member, Australian Marketing Institute (AMAMI)
- Member, Small Enterprise Association of Australia and New Zealand (SEAANZ)
- Member, Australia and New Zealand Academy of Management (ANZAM)
- Member, Australia and New Zealand Marketing Academy (ANZMAC)
- Editorial Board, Industrial Marketing Management
- Editorial Board, Journal of Social Entrepreneurship
- Editorial Board, Non-profit and Public Sector Marketing
- Editorial Board, International Journal of Learning and Change
- Editorial Board, International Journal of Knowledge and Learning
|'Examining the role of service innovation and service branding capabilities in services firms value creation and appropriation: A multi-level study' (with Professor Aron O'Cass, Dr Liem V. Ngo, Associate Professor Debra A. Grace and professor Dr Michael Song).||ARC Discovery||2011-2012||$145,000|
|‘An inquiry into the success factors of 'born global' enterprises that were initiated in Australia’ Professor Peter Liesch, Dr Jay Weerawardena, Dr Stuart Middleton and Dr Matthew Steen (ABF).||UQ Business School & Australian Business Foundation||2007||$40,000|
|‘The role of dynamic capabilities in the accelerated internationalization of born global firms’ (with Professor Peter Liesch, Professor Gillian Sullivan Mort and Associate Professor Gary Knight, Florida State University, USA.||ARC Discovery||2005-2009||Undisclosed|
|Discovery Grant||Australian Research Council||2004||$160,000|
|Social entrepreneurship and non-profit organization competitive strategy with Dr Gillian Sullivan Mort||UQ||2003-2004||Undisclosed|