- Managing competence and learning in organizations
- Ever since I started my academic career I have been developing a research program entitled ‘Managing competence and learning in organizations’. A core area in this research program is what constitutes individual competence and its development in organizations. I have investigated what defines individual competence and its development in several different professional fields, including leadership, medical doctors, corporate lawyers, and engineers. Another closely related area in my research program is what defines collective competence and its development in organizations. Based on the findings from the above core areas within the research program I have conducted in-depth research in a third core area that focuses on how competence and its development can be managed and organized more efficiently in organizations. Finally, research methodology has been another central area within my research program. The prime driver behind this area has been to develop new and innovative ways to identify and describe what constitutes competence and its development in organizations. I am also in the process of expanding the research program by preparing an interdisciplinary study with the overarching aim of investigating what constitutes knowing in professional practice, with a particular focus on enhancing the relationship between preparation for, and performance of, professional practice.
- Dall'Alba, Gloria, Sandberg, Jorgen and Sidhu, Ravinder Kaur (2017) Embodying skillful performance: co-constituting body and world in biotechnology. Educational Philosophy and Theory, 1-17. doi:10.1080/00131857.2017.1343114
- Skillful performance: enacting capabilities, knowledge, competence, and expertise in organizations. Edited by Jörgen Sandberg, Linda Rouleau, Ann Langley and Haridimos Tsoukas Oxford, United Kingdom: Oxford University Press, 2017.
- Sandberg, Jörgen, Rouleau, Linda, Langley, Ann and Tsoukas, Haridimos (2017). Introduction: skillful performance: enacting capabilities, knowledge, competence, and expertise in organizations. In Jörgen Sandberg, Linda Rouleau, Ann Langley and Haridimos Tsoukas (Ed.), Skillful performance: enacting capabilities, knowledge, competence, and expertise in organizations () Oxford, United Kingdom: Oxford University Press.
- O'Leary, Jane and Sandberg, Jorgen (2016) Managers' practice of managing diversity revealed: A practice-theoretical account. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 38 4: 512-536. doi:10.1002/job.2132
- Teeter, Preston and Sandberg, Jorgen (2016) Constraining or enabling green capability development? How policy uncertainty affects organizational responses to flexible environmental regulations. British Journal of Management, 1-17. doi:10.1111/1467-8551.12188
- Sandberg, Jorgen and Tsoukas, Haridimos (2016). Practice theory: What it is, its philosophical base, and what it offers organization studies. In Raza Mir, Hugh Willmott and Michelle Greenwood (Ed.), The Routledge Companion to Philosophy in Organization Studies (pp. 184-198) New York, NY United States: Routledge. doi:10.4324/9780203795248
- Teeter, Preston and Sandberg, Jorgen (2016) Cracking the enigma of asset bubbles with narratives. Strategic Organization, . doi:10.1177/1476127016629880
- Sandberg, Jorgen, Loacker, Bernadette and Alvesson, Mats (2015). Conceptions of process in organization and management: The case of identity studies. In The Emergence of Novelty in Organizations (pp. 318-344) Oxford, United Kingdom: Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/acprof:oso/9780198728313.003.0012
- Teeter, Preston and Sandberg, Jorgen (2015). How Policy Uncertainty Affects Organizational Responses to Flexible Environmental Regulations. In: The 75th Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management, Vancouver, Canada, (). 7–11 August 2015. doi:10.5465/AMBPP.2015.10653abstract
- Teeter, Preston and Sandberg, Jorgen (2015). Cracking the enigma of asset bubbles with narratives. In: The 75th Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management, Vancouver, Canada, (). 7–11 August 2015. doi:10.5465/AMBPP.2015.10706abstract
- Academy of Management
- European Group for Organization Studies
- 1988-1993 PhD Fellowship, Faculty of Social Sciences at Gothenburg University
- 1986-1987 PhD Fellowship, Volvo Research Foundation
|'Knowing in professional practice: Enhancing the relationship between professional education and practice' (with Dr Gloria A. Dall'Alba, Professor Mats Alvesson and Professor Silvia Gherardi).||ARC Discovery||2011-2013||$309,000|
|Swedish Council for Work life||1995||$96,000|
|Volvo Research Foundation||1995||$120,000|
|Faculty of Social Sciences, Gothenburg University||1989||$4,000|
|Volvo Research Foundation||1988||$75,000|