The University of Queensland Business School is independently ranked as one of the top business schools in Australia and amongst the leading institutions worldwide. Based in Brisbane, it brings together over 130 subject experts with over 8,000 students and offers a wide range of degree programs and Executive Education.
Why choose us?
One of the world's best business schools
A long and rich heritage
What we stand for
UQ Business School aims to create an environment where the disciplines of research give students the skills to find the knowledge they need, where good ideas are tested and polished to become great ideas, where rigorous analysis is celebrated and collaboration is valued.
To achieve national and international recognition as one of the best research intensive business schools in the Asia Pacific region.
- Research-led scholarship
- International focus
- Ethical conduct
The origins of UQ Business School date back to 1926 when The University of Queensland offered its first accounting degrees. The Department of Accountancy was set up in 1961, and later became the School of Commerce.
Management education began later, with the creation of the Department of Business Administration in 1972 and the introduction of the Master of Business Administration (MBA) program, the first in Queensland. The department, which had three staff and 47 students in its first year, later became the School of Management.
UQ Business School was formed on 1 July 2002 with the merger of the Schools of Commerce and Management. Two years later it expanded further when it merged with the Technology and Innovation Management Centre (TIMC).
As the years have gone by, the School has continued to raise its standards and its reputation. It became the first business school in Australia to meet the standards of the world’s two most influential accrediting bodies - the US-based AACSB International and Europe’s EQUIS.
In 2004, it opened UQ Business School Executive Venue, a state-of-the-art learning and conference centre in Brisbane’s central business district, placing it at the heart of the business community. In 2014, UQ School of Tourism was merged with UQ Business School.
Accreditation and rankings
UQ Business School is recognised by the world’s pre-eminent ranking bodies as a leading provider of quality business education. It is renowned for its cutting-edge research, the quality of its academic staff, the depth of its educational programs and its close links with industry.
A globally renowned business school
- We were the first business school in Australia to gain dual accreditation from AACSB International and EQUIS - the most prestigious standards a business school can achieve.
- Our MBA program is ranked 16th in the world by The Economist, identifying it as the leading MBA outside of Europe and North America. We are also the top MBA provider in Australia according to AFR BOSS Magazine.
- Our MBA has received a five star rating by Australia’s most influential rating body, the GMAA, for eleven years in a row.
- We were classed as above world standard in all fields of research in the Australian government’s ERA assessment.
- We are the only school in Australia that offers tourism programs with UNWTO accreditation.
- Our degree programs are accredited with professional associations such as the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), Certified Practicing Accountants of Australia, Chartered Accountants Australia + New Zealand, Australian Human Resources Institute (AHRI), Australian Computer Society (ACS), Australian Property Institute (API), and the United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO).
What does it mean for you?
As a student, it means you will receive the highest standard of education and your qualification will be recognised by employers internationally.
As an employer, you can expect high-calibre graduates who are aware of the challenges facing businesses in today’s commercial environment and are equipped with the skills to find solutions.
As a partner, you will be engaging with an institution that is involved in world-class research, is keen to co-operate on a national and international level, and has strong links with industry and professional bodies.