- Organisational Change, Leadership and Communication
- Special interest in employees experience with large scale organisational change, examining their levels of adaptation, coping resources and strategies, as well as views about the communication and leadership of change.
- Skills and capabilities
- Examinations of effective responses to skills development and shortages, including strategies around recognition of prior learning, e-learning, new models of apprenticeships and strategies to assist displaced older workers.
- Ayoko, O.B. and Callan, V. (2018). Innovation, change and paradoxical behaviors in Scientific R & D teams. In: Fourth Israel Organizational Behavior Conference (IOBC), Tel Aviv, Israel, (). 2nd-4th January, 2018.
- Fitzsimmons, Terrance W., Yates, Miriam S and Callan, Victor J (2018) Hands up for gender equality: A major study into confidence and career intentions of adolescent girls and boys Brisbane, QLD, Australia: AIBE Centre for Gender Equality in the Workplace, The University of Queensland
- Smith, Laura G. E., Gillespie, Nicole, Callan, Victor J., Fitzsimmons, Terrance W. and Paulsen, Neil (2017) Injunctive and descriptive logics during newcomer socialization: the impact on organizational identification, trustworthiness, and self-efficacy. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 38 4: 487-511. doi:10.1002/job.2131
- Smith, Erica, Smith, Andy, Tuck, Jacqueline and Callan, Victor (2017) Continuity and change: Employers' training practices and partnerships with training providers Adelaide, SA, Australia: National Centre for Vocational Education Research
- Fitzsimmons, Terrance W. and Callan, Victor J. (2016) CEO selection: a capital perspective. The Leadership Quarterly, 27 5: 765-787. doi:10.1016/j.leaqua.2016.05.001
- Callan, Victor J., Johnston, Margaret, Clayton, Berwyn and Poulsen, Alison L. (2016) E-assessment: challenges to the legitimacy of VET practitioners and auditors. Journal of Vocational Education and Training, 68 4: 1-20. doi:10.1080/13636820.2016.1231214
- Fitzsimmons, Terrance W. and Callan, Victor J. (2016) Applying a capital perspective to explain continued gender inequality in the C-suite. Leadership Quarterly, 27 3: 354-370. doi:10.1016/j.leaqua.2015.11.003
- Cunningham, Stuart, Theilacker, Max, Gahan, Peter, Callan, Victor J. and Rainnie, Al Skills and capabilities for Australian enterprise innovation: Report for the Australian Council of Learned Academies. Melbourne, Victoria: Australian Council of Learned Academies (ACOLA), 2016.
- Robinson, Richard N.S., Kralj, Anna, Solnet, David J., Goh, Edmund and Callan, Victor J. (2016) Attitudinal similarities and differences of hotel frontline occupations. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 28 5: 1051-1072. doi:10.1108/IJCHM-08-2014-0391
- Ma, Shaozhuang, Silva, M. Gabriela, Callan, Victor J. and Trigo, Virginia (2015) Control and commitment HR practices, job satisfaction and turnover intentions: a comparison between local and multinational firms in China. The International Journal of Human Resource Management, 27 9: 974-990. doi:10.1080/09585192.2015.1052535
- Fellow, Academy of the Social Sciences in Australia
- Fellow, Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Elected as Fellow of the Academy of the Social Sciences in Australia
- Elected as Fellow of the Queensland Academy of Arts and Sciences
- Recipient of the UQ Award for Excellence in Research Higher Degree Supervision
- Recipient of the UQ Award for Excellence in Leadership
- Recipient of the UQ Award for Excellence in Leadership as a member of the ERA 2015 Steering Committee
- Member and Deputy Chair, Research Evaluation Committee, Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) 2010, 2012
- Best Paper Conference Awards including US Academy of Management, International Communication Association, International Congress of Psychology
|Managing key professional transitions in the health sector||ARC Linkage Grant||2011-2015||$470,000|
|Socialisation of new employees||ARC Linkage Grant||2007-2010||$253,000|
|Medical networks||ARC Linkage Grant||2006-2009||$260,000|
|Site Level Community Processes in the Australian Minerals Industry||ARC Linkage Grant||2004-2007||$279,475|
|Management of Information Technology Based Organisational Change||ARC Linkage Grant||2003-2006||$165,000|
|Employee Adjustment to Organisational Change||ARC Linkage Grant||2001-2002||$84,000|
|Communicating Organisational Change||ARC Linkage/SPIRT||1998-2000||$223,150|
|Eight other ARC projects on communication, language and groups||ARC Discovery||1984-2001||Undisclosed|