- Climate change adaptation and mitigation measures
- Comparative examination of policy measures by local governments in both the Australian and international context
- Public Policy, Education
- New Federalism reforms of the Rudd Government and their impact on education policy and the role of ministerial councils.
- Public Policy, Renewable Energy
- Examination of the theoretical aspects of the policy process in the Australian federal system. Using case study methodology to assess the formulation of policy to expand the renewable energy industry through cooperative arrangements established by the Council of Australian Governments.
- Urban policy
- The role of governments in managing the development of cities and urban environments to encourage innovation and creativity and identify ways to reduce the impact of climate change.
- Jones, Stephen (2018) City governments measuring their response to climate change. Regional Studies, 1-10. doi:10.1080/00343404.2018.1463517
- Jones, Stephen Cities responding to climate change: Copenhagen, Stockholm and Tokyo. Cham, Switzerland: Palgrave Macmillan, 2018. doi:10.1007/978-3-319-64810-1
- Jones, Stephen (2018). Stakeholder partnerships in the delivery of services. In Wiltshire, Ken, Malhotra, Aastha and Axelsen, Micheal (Ed.), Transformational Leadership and Not for Profits and Social Enterprises (pp. 55-74) London, United Kingdom: Routledge.
- Jones, Stephen and Bouckaert, Geert (2017) Performance for accountability: the case of joint agreements in a federal system. Public Performance and Management Review, 40 4: 765-796. doi:10.1080/15309576.2017.1342667
- Aulich, Chris, Jones, Stephen and Head, Brian (2017) Divestment of commonwealth public enterprises in Australia: the cupboard is bare. Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, . doi:10.1111/apce.12171
- Jones, Stephen (2016) ‘If You Can Make it Here, You Can Make it Anywhere’: Performance Management and PlaNYC Climate Change Initiatives. Regional Studies, 50 4: 744-755. doi:10.1080/00343404.2015.1052389
- Jones, Stephen, Bouckaert, Geert, Cooper, Amy and Bernier, Luc (2015). Performance federalism: a model for analysis. In: International Conference on Public Policy, Milan, Italy, (). 1-4 July 2015.
- Jones, Stephen (2014) Flirting with climate change: a comparative policy analysis of subnational governments in Canada and Australia. Journal of Comparative Policy Analysis: Research and Practice, 16 5: 424-440. doi:10.1080/13876988.2014.942570
- Jones, Stephen (2013) Climate change policies of city governments in federal systems: an analysis of Vancouver, Melbourne and New York City. Regional Studies, 47 6: 974-992. doi:10.1080/00343404.2011.585150
- Wiltshire, Kenneth and Jones, Stephen (2013). Giving voice to values for the public sector: an exploratory approach. In Mary C. Gentile and Oliver Laasch (Ed.), Educating for Values-Driven Leadership: Giving Voice to Values Across the Curriculum (pp. 87-104) New York, NY, United States: Business Expert Press.
- Institute of Public Administration (Qld)
- Institute of Public Administration (WA)
- Adjunct Research Fellow - John Curtin Institute of Public Policy, Curtin University of Technology
- Associate - Centre for Local Government, University of New England
- Winner of the 2012 Business School Post Graduate teaching award
- Brian McLoughlin Postgraduate Award for new and emerging scholars
|Performance Federalism (with Professor Geert Bouckaert, KU Leuven)||Australia and New Zealand School of Government (ANZSOG)||2013-2015||Undisclosed|
|University Travel Research Grant||UQ||2012||Undisclosed|
|Early Career Research Award||UQ||2009||Undisclosed|