Shams Pathan is a Senior Lecturer in Finance at the UQ Business School of The University of Queensland. He is also the current Masters of Commerce Program Leader. He was the only recipient of the prestigious [2013-2016] ARC Discover Early Career Research Award (DECRA) in both business and economics disciplines in 2013. He has teaching experience for more than 16 years at local and international universities. Dr Pathan is an expert in empirical research on issues related to financial institutions, boards of directors, executive compensation, institutional shareholders activism, new equity issues. His academic works appeared in peer-reviewed journals such as Journal of Banking and Finance, International Review of Financial Analysis and Asia-Pacific Financial Markets Journal. Dr Pathan is an ad hoc reviewer of Journal of Corporate Finance, Journal of Banking and Finance, Financial Management, Review of Finance, Journal of Financial Intermediation, European Financial Management, Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Journal of Financial Stability, Accounting and Finance, Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money and Journal of Multinational Financial Management. To support his research activities, he has received several external research grants [2013 AFAANZ mid-career and 2009 AFAANZ early-career research grants] and two other competitive internal grants [2010 UQ Early Career Research and 2010 New Staff Research Grants].
Published Refereed Journal Articles
- 2010 “Endogenously structured boards of directors in banks”, (with M. Skully) Journal of Banking and Finance, 34(7), 1590-1606.
- 2010 “Efficiency of micro-finance institutions: A data envelopment analysis”, (with M. Haq and M. Skully), Asia-Pacific Financial Markets, 17(1), 63-97.
- 2009 “Strong boards, CEO power and bank risk-taking”, Journal of Banking and Finance, 33(7), 1340-1350.
Selected press mention of this article:
- “Bank shareholders: victims or villains? Changing course”, The Economists, April 30, 2009. ;
- “Das creditor-value-prinzip”, Financial Times Deutschland, May19, 2009.
- 2008 “Reforms in Thai bank governance: the aftermath of the Asian financial crisis” (with M. Skully and J. Wickramanayake), International Review of Financial Analysis, 17 (2), 345-362
- 2007 “Board size, independence and performance: an analysis of Thai banks” (with M. Skully and J. Wickramanayake), Asia-Pacific Financial Markets, 14(3), 211-227.
- Journal of Corporate Finance
- Journal of Banking and Finance
- Accounting and Finance
- Journal of Multinational Financial Management
Paper Review Committee
- 2010 Financial Management Association, New York, USA
- 2010 1st World Finance Conference, Portugal
- 2010 Eastern Finance Association Annual Meeting, Florida, USA
- 2009 AFAANZ Conference, Adelaide, Australia
- 2009 FMA Asian Meeting, China
- 2009 Eastern Finance Association Annual Meeting, Washington, USA
- 2009 International Business Research Conference (9th Dubai, 10th London, 11th Sydney)
- 2009 FMA European Conference, Turin, Italy
- 2008 AFBC Conference, Sydney, Australia
- 2008 Midwest Finance Association Conference, San Antonio, USA
Other Peer reviewer of ‘Qatar National Research Fund” (QNRF) projects (since 2009)