- Apps for research outputs & outcomes
- Use of Bayesian techniques (BNs, Bayesian inference); expert elicitation; machine learning
- Climate change research
- Climate change impact assessment, resilience, vulnerability, adaptation and adaptive capacity – coastal areas
- Environmental sustainability
- Applying statistical, process-based and equilibrium models to environmental systems.
- Fisheries management
- Systems-based assessments of risk and management for commercial wild fisheries and aquaculture
- Systems theory and
- Developing and applying systems thinking and system dynamic models to socio-ecological systems.
- Sahin, Oz, Siems, Raymond, Richards, Russell G., Helfer, Fernanda and Stewart, Rodney A. (2017) Examining the potential for energy-positive bulk-water infrastructure to provide long-term urban water security: a systems approach. Journal of Cleaner Production, 143 557-566. doi:10.1016/j.jclepro.2016.12.074
- Bertone, Edoardo, Sahin, Oz, Richards, Russell and Roiko, Anne (2017). Quantifying the impacts of extreme events on potable water quality: a participatory systems modelling approach. In: 12th Conference on Sustainable Development of Energy, Water and Environment Systems, Dubrovnik, Croatia, (). 4-8 October 2017.
- Tiller, Rachel, Bailey, Jennifer and Richards, Russell (2017). Ocean futures: exploring stakeholders' perceptions of adaptive capacity to changing marine environments in Northern Norway. In: 58th Annual Convention of the International Studies Association, Baltimore Maryland, USA, (). 22-25 February 2017.
- Hall, N., Acosta Jaramillo, C. M., Jagals, P., Currie, D., Ossa-Moreno, J., Dean, A., Ross, H., Bowling, T., Hill, P., Head, B., Richards, R., Willis, J., Abal, E. and Cruz Lopez, D. (2016). Strengthening community participation in meeting UN Sustainable Development Goal 6 for water, sanitation and hygiene. Global Change Institute Discussion Paper: Water for Equity and Wellbeing Series 2207-9602, Global Change Institute, The University of Queensland, Brisbane.
- Bertone, Edoardo, Sahin, Oz, Richards, Russell and Roiko, Anne (2016) Extreme events, water quality and health: a participatory Bayesian risk assessment tool for managers of reservoirs. Journal of Cleaner Production, 135 657-667. doi:10.1016/j.jclepro.2016.06.158
- Hall, Nina , Abal, Eva, Albert, Simon , Ali, Saleem , Barrington, Dani , Dean, Angela , Head, Brian, Hill, Peter, Hussey, Karen , Jagals, Paul , Muriuki, Grace , Pascoe, Mark , Reid, Simon , Richards, Russell, Robinson, Jacqueline, Ross, Helen , Shannon, Cindy , Torero Cullen, Jose and Willis, Jon (2016). The UN Sustainable Development Goals for water and sanitation: how should Australia respond within and beyond its borders?. Global Change Institute discussion paper: water for equity and wellbeing series 2207-9602, Global Change Institute, The University of Queensland, Brisbane.
- Meynecke, Jan-Olaf, Richards, Russell and Sahin, Oz (2016) Whale watch or no watch: the Australian whale watching tourism industry and climate change. Regional Environmental Change, 1-12. doi:10.1007/s10113-016-1034-z
- Lee, Jung-Ho, Richards, Russell G. and Birch, Gavin F. (2016) A novel coupled biokinetic-equilibrium model to capture oyster metal bioaccumulation in a contaminated estuary (Sydney estuary, Australia). Environmental Modelling and Software, 82 152-166. doi:10.1016/j.envsoft.2016.04.021
- Hall, N., Richards, R., Barrington, D., Ross, H., Reid, S., Head, B., Jagals, P., Dean, A., Hussey, K., Abal, E., Ali, S., Boully, L. and Willis, J. (2016). Achieving the UN Sustainable Development Goals for water and beyond. Global Change Institute Discussion Paper: Water for Equity and Wellbeing Series 2207-9602, Global Change Institute, The University of Queensland, Brisbane.
- Richards, R. G., Sano, M. and Sahin, O. (2016) Exploring climate change adaptive capacity of surf life saving in Australia using Bayesian belief networks. Ocean and Coastal Management, 120 148-159. doi:10.1016/j.ocecoaman.2015.11.007
- Modelling and Simulation Society of Australia and New Zealand Inc (MSSANZ)
- System Dynamics Society
- Coastal Education & Research Foundation (CERF)
- Mar-99 - Bachelor Medal (Environmental Engineering)
- Nov-98 - Michael Woodhouse Memorial Student Prize, Qld water panel award for best undergraduate thesis.
|Systems Dynamics Immersion Lab||The University of Queensland Business School Innovation Fund.||2017 - 2018||$50,000|
|Integrated Coastal Management Short Term Awards||Australia Awards, Indonesia||2016 - 2017||$32,000|
|OCEAN-CERTAIN||European Union FP7 (ENV-2013-6.1-1; no: 603773)||2013 - 2017||$11,000,000|