You are here
+61 7 334 68089
+61 7 334 68166
Room 416, Colin Clark Building, St. Lucia Campus
Associate Professor in Marketing
- BTech (Class 1, Dist), Mechanical Engineering (JNTU, India)
- MBA (Dist), Marketing (University of Waikato)
- PGDipMktg (Dist), Marketing (University of Waikato)
- GradCertHigherEd, Higher Education (University of New England)
- PhD, Marketing (University of New England)
Ravi Pappu is an Associate Professor of Marketing in the University of Queensland Business School.
- Ravi received a PhD in marketing from University of New England (UNE). His PhD research demonstrated that a product's country of origin can influence brand equity. These results were published in the Journal of International Business Studies and the European Journal of Marketing.
- Prior to UNE, Ravi graduated with an MBA and a PG Diploma in marketing, both awarded with Distinction, from the University of Waikato, New Zealand.
- Earlier, Ravi received a Bachelor's degree in Technology (in Mechanical engineering) from JNTU in India, awarded with First Class and Distinction.
Further information about Ravi is available at the following web pages.
Ravi's current research focuses on modelling consumer decision making in relation to different types of brands (e.g. manufacturers, retailers, nonprofits and countries). He is also interested in understanding how marketing communications (e.g. advertising, celebrity endorsement, sponsorship) can shape consumer attitudes and brand perceptions. Ravi mainly uses quantitative methods including experimental designs, survey research, and multivariate data analysis techniques including structural equations modelling.
| Brand innovativeness | Brand management | Celebrity endorsement | Corporate sponsorship | Country-of-origin effects | International marketing | Marketing communications |
Since 2006, Ravi's research papers have been downloaded more than 89,000 times (As of August 2015). His research on sponsorship, brand equity, country-of-origin effects, celebrity endorsement, country brand equity and retailer brand equity has been published in various scholarly international marketing journals including the following.
| Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science | Journal of Business Research | International Business Review | Journal of International Business Studies | European Journal of Marketing | Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services | Journal of Product & Brand Management | Journal of Marketing Education |
Ravi was the lead Chief Investigator of a recently completed (2009-2012) Australian Research Council Linkage project (with Professor Bettina Cornwell), supported by the Australian Red Cross Blood Service. Major outcomes of this research so far include the following.
- A new method for mapping consumer brand association networks
- A model for explaining how communication portfolios affect the image and equity of non-profit brands
- A publication in the Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science
Ravi's research has attracted several internal competitive grants from the University of New England and University of Queensland.
Awards & Distinctions
- 2009 - Outstanding Reviewer of the Year Award, Emerald Literati Network
- 2006 - UQ Business School Research Excellence Award
- 2000 - Best Marketing Research Paper Award, Summer Marketing Educators' Conference, American Marketing Association [with A. Sinha & P. Leszeczyc],
- 1998 - Highly Commended Doctoral Colloquium Paper, Australian and New Zealand Marketing Academy Conference
Ravi currently teaches courses in quantitative research methods and applied statistics for honours and PhD students, and market research for postgraduate students.
2015 Teaching Responsibilities
- RBUS6903 Quantitative Business Research Methods II (Structural Equation Modelling) (2013 - Present)
- RBUS6931 Scientific Method in Management (2011 -Present)
- MKTG7510 Market and Consumer Research (2014 - Present)
- Finalist - University of Queensland Teaching Excellence Award (2014 & 2015)
- Nominee - UQ Business School Teaching Excellence Award (2013, 2014 & 2015)
- Nominee - ANZMAC Distinguished Educator of the Year Award (2014)
- Nominee - ANZMAC Emerging Educator of the Year Award (2002 & 2004)
- RBUS2900 Business Research Methods (2006-2012)
- MKTG2504 International Marketing (2007-2008)
- MKTG2505 Retail Management (2008-2009)
- 0346352 Marketing Research (1999) (University of Waikato)
- MKTG7506 International Marketing (2010)
- MKTG7040 Marketing Management (2006-2007)
- MKTG7501 Introduction to Marketing (2006-2007)
- MBA731 Marketing Management (2002-2005) (University of New England)
- MBA736 International Marketing (2004-2005) (University of New England)
- RBUS6903 Quantitative Business Research Methods II | 2014 | 2013 |
- RBUS6931 Scientific Method in Management | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 |
- MKTG7510 Market and Consumer Research | 2015 | 2014 |
- RBUS2900 Business Research Methods | 2012 | 2010 | 2008 |
- MBA731 Marketing Management | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 |
- MBA736 International Marketing | 2005 | 2004 |
Research Higher Degree Supervision
Ravi is available for research supervision in marketing including on the following topics.
| Brand equity | Brand innovativeness | Celebrity endorsement | Consumer innovativeness | Corporate sponsorship | Retail brand extensions | Country-of-origin effects |
His research students have achieved publications in internationally recognised journals (e.g., European Journal of Marketing & Journal of Business Research) and presented their work at prestegious international conferences.(e.g. ANZMAC, AMA, AMS, WMC).
- âSunita Prugsamatz (2010) - International Students' Higher Education Choice (employed at Norwegian University of Science and Technology)
- Monica Chien (2009) - Corporate sponsorship (employed at the UQ Business School)
- Sik Chen Yu (2013) - Celebrity portfolios (PhD at the University of Sydney Business School)
- Amanda Spry (2007) - Celebrity endorsement (Colmar Brunton and University of Melbourne)
- Merissa Chong (2006) - Consumer innovatioveness (Swissotel)
- Penny Stower (2006) - Multiple celebrity endorsement (British American Tobacco)
Editorial Board Membership
Ad hoc Reviewer
| Australasian Marketing Journal | European Journal of Marketing | Industrial Marketing Management | International Marketing Review | Journal of Sports Management | Journal of Advertising | Journal of Brand Management | Journal of Business Research | Journal of International Marketing | Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services |
- Track Chair - Advertising and Sales Promotion track (ANZMAC 2015)
- Track Chair - International Marketing track (ANZMAC 2013)
- Track Chair - Marketing Research and Research Methodologies track (ANZMAC 2006)
| Academy of Marketing | Academy of the Marketing Science | Advertising and Consumer Psychology | American Marketing Association | Australian and New Zealand Marketing Academy | Marketing Science | World Marketing Congress |