- I continue to research into bank performance and challenges facing management e.g. accounting for the impact of the environment on performance. Related to performance, I have published about reconfiguring branches, takeovers, impact of deregulation and the shortcomings of traditional bank performance measures. Other projects include combining non-parametric and parametric techniques, and testing for the stability and integrity of results.
- Productivity Benchmarking
- A common theme in my research is performance measurement. Currently, I continue to extend this activity into other services besides Australian banking using the Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) technique e.g. Cooperative Research Centres, health care, Japanese banking and banking in UAE. The research book on DEA (the third edition published in 2006, with a list of international contributions) has expanded my insight into various service industries as well as consolidating my existing output in banking. I see performance analysis and productivity benchmarking of the service sector a fertile and worthwhile field for research.
- Avkiran, Necmi Kemal and Mi, Lin (2017) The Rising Systemic Importance of Chinese Banks: Should the World Be Concerned?. Australian Economic Review, 50 4: 427-440. doi:10.1111/1467-8462.12239
- Avkiran, Necmi Kemal (2017) An in-depth discussion and illustration of partial least squares structural equation modeling in health care. Health Care Management Science, 1-8. doi:10.1007/s10729-017-9393-7
- Avkiran, Necmi K. (2016, September 15). Shadow banking increases the risk of another global financial crisis. , .
- Haq, Mamiza and Avkiran, Necmi K. (2016, September 09). Company results wrap: weighing up the risks behind the profits of Australia’s big four banks. , .
- Avkiran, Necmi Kemal (2016) An illustration of multiple-stakeholder perspective using a survey across Australia, China and Japan. Annals of Operations Research, 1-29. doi:10.1007/s10479-016-2191-7
- Avkiran, Necmi K. and Tone, Kaoru (2016) Editorial: Network-DEA in the service sector. Omega, 60 1-1. doi:10.1016/j.omega.2015.07.011
- Avkiran, Necmi Kemal and Zhu, Yushu (Elizabeth) (2016). Pitching DEA against SFA in the context of Chinese domestic versus foreign banks. In Shiuh-Nan Hwang, Hsuan-Shih Lee and Joe Zhu (Ed.), Handbook of operations analytics using data envelopment analysis (pp. 113-143) New York, NY, United States: Springer Science+Business Media. doi:10.1007/978-1-4899-7705-2_5
- 2005 – 2010 Research Enhancement Group, UQI
- 1998 – present Australian Society for Operations Research (Executive Committee Member)
- 1992 – present FINSIA
- 2008 Invited guest speaker at the DEA Symposium held at Seikei University, Tokyo
- 2006 Guest Editor, Special Issue on 'Productivity Benchmarking', International Journal of Business Performance Management, 8(4), 2006.
- 2005-2006 Nominated for the Award for Teaching Excellence, UQ Business School
- 2002 Keynote speaker at the International DEA Symposium, Moscow
- 1995 Award for Excellence, Highly Commended, MCB University Press (research paper)
- 1993 – 1995 Recipient of Australian Postgraduate Award for the duration of PhD studies
- 1983 – 85 Fulbright Scholar (MBA, Boston College))
|Network DEA and its Applications; section on regional banks, 2007-2009||Japan Society for the Promotion of Science||2007||$187,000|
|A new approach to managing voluntary academic turnover||NSRGS||1998||$12,677|
|Scientific collaboration in finance does not lead to better quality Research||HTPM||1997||$500|
|INSTAFOR ^TM^ (software)||BEL, Executive Dean||1996||$2,000|