- Phelan, Kelly (2017). National identity in Africa's tourism industry. In Leanne White (Ed.), Commercial nationalism and tourism: selling the national story (pp. 126-137) Bristol, United Kingdom: Channel View Publications.
- Ravichandran, Swathi, Carter, Lawrence, Gwin, Casey and Phelan, Kelly Virginia (2016) Event history and housing contract clauses for a dual-citywide event: the 2014 Gay Games. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Cases, 5 2: 9-14.
- Mejia, Cynthia, Aday, James Brian, Phelan, Kelly Virginia and Yi, Xiaoli (2016) Subordinates' perceptions of Western expatriate hotel managers in China: the effects of conflict avoidance. Journal of Human Resources in Hospitality and Tourism, 15 4: 388-415. doi:10.1080/15332845.2016.1148567
- Chen, Hsiangting Shatina, Phelan, Kelly Virginia and Chang, Hyo Jung (Julie) (2016) The hunt for online hotel deals: how online travelers’ cognition and affection influence their booking intentions. Journal of Quality Assurance in Hospitality and Tourism, 17 3: 333-350. doi:10.1080/1528008X.2015.1077186
- Johnston, Nicholas E. and Phelan, Kelly Virginia (2016) Assessing objective and subjective factors of culinary career success: exploring the influence of industry certifications. Journal of Culinary Science and Technology, 14 1: 36-58. doi:10.1080/15428052.2015.1080641
- Aday, James Brian and Phelan, Kelly Virginia (2016) Attitudes, perceptions and motivations of eco-sustainable NBA fans. e-Journal of Social and Behavioural Research in Business, 7 1: 1-15.
- Phelan, Kelly Virginia (2015). Staged authenticity and identity conflicts: cultural tourism in Africa. In Gabriel R. Ricci (Ed.), Travel, tourism and identity () New Brunswick, NJ, United States: Transaction Publishers.
- Chen, Hsiangting, Phelan, Kelly Virginia and Jai, Tun-Min (Catherine) (2015) Gender differences in deal hunting: What motivates consumers to search and book hotel deals?. Journal of Hospitality Marketing and Management, 25 5: 613-639. doi:10.1080/19368623.2015.1067666
- Phelan, Kelly Virginia (2015) Elephants, orphans and HIV/AIDS: examining the voluntourist experience in Botswana. Worldwide Hospitality and Tourism Themes, 7 2: 127-140. doi:10.1108/WHATT-12-2014-0049
- Mejia, Cynthia, Phelan, Kelly Virginia and Aday, James Brian (2015) Framework for success: overcoming contemporary challenges of Western expatriate managers in the Chinese hospitality industry. Journal of Human Resources in Hospitality and Tourism, 14 2: 107-132. doi:10.1080/15332845.2015.955559