- Alliances and licensing in high-technology industries
- Looks at the strategic use of alliances and licensing in knowledge-intensive industries such as biotechnology
- Managing and Measuring Innovation
- Survey-based research of innovation and business performance particularly in SMEs. Examples include the Growing Australian Business project and the Brisbane Digital Audit
- Megaproject Performance and Innovation
- Particularly looking at megaprojects ($1 billion +) in the Australian Oil and Gas industry. Work undertaken in collaboration with Ernst and Young and the Sustainable Minerals Institute
- Network Analysis in Organisations and Industries
- Resource-based view of the firm
- Critical analysis of the limitations of the resource-based view literature and the development of methodologies to investigate the resource-based perspective
- Strategic management of intangible resources
- Examines the strategic importance of intangible resources and methodologies for their investigation. This project includes internationalisation and organisational social network analysis.
- Tisdell, Clem , Ahmad, Shabbir , Nadia, Agha , Steen, John and Verreynne, Martie-Louise (2017). Loans, Wealth Creation and the Socioeconomic Situation of Women in the Taluka Area of the Khairpur District, Sindh, Pakistan: A Study Based on Interviews with Female Focal Groups. Social Economics, Policy and Development 62, School of Economics, University of Queensland.
- Hayward, Mathew, Caldwell, Andrew, Steen, John, Gow, David and Liesch, Peter (2017) Entrepreneurs' capital budgeting orientations and innovation outputs: evidence from Australian biotechnology firms. Long Range Planning, 50 2: 121-133. doi:10.1016/j.lrp.2016.06.002
- Ford, Jerad A., Verreynne, Martie-Louise and Steen, John (2017) Limits to networking capabilities: relationship trade-offs and innovation. Industrial Marketing Management, .
- Cuthill, Michael, Ross, Helen and Steen, John (2016) Indicators of community resilience within the Australian dairy industry: A literature review :
- Ford, Jerad A., Steen, John and Verreynne, Martie-Louise (2016) Four qualities that helped small businesses survive the end of the resources boom. The Conversation, .
- Ford, Jerad A., Verreynne, Martie-Louise and Steen, John (2016) Measuring economic trends and benefits of CSG development on local businesses :
- Steen, John T., Ahmad, Shabbir, Verreynne, Martie-Louise, Battese, George and Burki, Abid Final Report: Farmers' capabilities, productivity and profitability: a case study of small holders in selected agro zones in Pakistan. Canberra, ACT, Australia: ACIAR, 2016.
- Mitchell, Paul, Steen, John, Sartorio, Afonso, Bolton, Wayne, MacAulay, Samuel C., Higgins, Louise, Kunz, Nadja, Yameogo, Theo, Hoogedeure, Wim and Jackson, John (2016) How do you prepare for tomorrow’s mine today? : EYGM
- Steen, John (2016) Lessons to be learned from project cost overruns. Gas Today, Autumn 35: 53-54.
- Gronum, Sarel, Steen, John and Verreynne, Martie-Louise (2016) Business model design and innovation: unlocking the performance benefits of innovation. Australian Journal of Management, 41 3: 585-605. doi:10.1177/0312896215587315
- 2014 Australian Learning and Teaching Council National Award for Programs that Enhance Student Learning (Masters of Business Administration)
- 2013 UQ Award for Programs that Enhance Student Learning (Masters of Business Administration)
- 2008 Australian Learning and Teaching Council Citation for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning for excellence in business strategy case study teaching and coaching
- 2008 UQ Business School Award for Excellence in Industry Engagement
- 2007 UQ citation for outstanding contributions to student learning
- 2004 UQ Business School Award for Teaching Excellence at the postgraduate level.
|Creating wealth in smallholders farms through efficient credit systems in Pakistan||Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research||2017-2018||$219,681|
|Developing Entrepreneurs: An interdisciplinary, experiential learning approach to creating an innovative and entrepreneurial mindset.||UQ Teaching Innovation Grants||2016-2018||$136,000|
|The open innovation process: Factors and technologies that matter||ARC Discovery||2016-2018||$330,000|
|The perception and management of uncertainty in megaprojects: the role of domain decisions||Project Management Institute||2016-2017||$67,154|
|Measuring economic trends and benefits of CSG development on local businesses (SME sub-project)||Centre for Coal Seam Gas||2016||$136,546|
|Farmer's capabilities, productivity, and profitability: A case study of smallholders in selected agro zones in Pakistan||Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research||2015-2016||$165,000|
|Small business research infrastructure access||Australian Government Department of Industry and Science||2015||$53,680|
|Growing Business in Redlands Survey 2015||Redlands City Council||2015||$30,757|
|What is a world class SME?||Enterprise Connect||2012||Undisclosed|
|Oil and Gas Productivity and Innovation Study||Ernst and Young||2012||Undisclosed|
|Innovation and performance in Australian oil and gas megaprojects||UQ Collaboration and Industry Engagement||2012||Undisclosed|
|Digital Capability Assessment of Brisbane Businesses||Ernst & Young||2012||Undisclosed|
|Capability Technology Demonstrator Program Analysis||DSTO||2012||Undisclosed|
|Brisbane Innovation Scorecard||Brisbane Marketing||2012||Undisclosed|
|Brisbane City Council Innovation Survey||Brisbane City Council||2012||Undisclosed|
|Applying the Innovation Scorecard to Brisbane||Department of Innovation, Industry, Science and Research||2011||Undisclosed|
|Innovation and dynamic networks in project-based firms||ARC Discovery||2009||Undisclosed|
|Complex networks and innovation||UQ Early career research grant||2007||Undisclosed|
|Complex networks and the world trade web||ARC Centre for Complex Systems||2006||Undisclosed|
|Vascular control mitochondrial proton leak in resting muscle||ARC Discovery||1996-1998||Undisclosed|