- Alliances and licensing in high-technology industries
- Looks at the strategic use of alliances and licensing in knowledge-intensive industries such as biotechnology
- Managing and Measuring Innovation
- Survey-based research of innovation and business performance particularly in SMEs. Examples include the Growing Australian Business project and the Brisbane Digital Audit
- Megaproject Performance and Innovation
- Particularly looking at megaprojects ($1 billion +) in the Australian Oil and Gas industry. Work undertaken in collaboration with Ernst and Young and the Sustainable Minerals Institute
- Network Analysis in Organisations and Industries
- Resource-based view of the firm
- Critical analysis of the limitations of the resource-based view literature and the development of methodologies to investigate the resource-based perspective
- Strategic management of intangible resources
- Examines the strategic importance of intangible resources and methodologies for their investigation. This project includes internationalisation and organisational social network analysis.
- Steen, John, DeFillippi, Robert, Sydow, Jörg , Pryke, Stephen and Michelfelder, Ingo (2018) Projects and networks: understanding resource flows and governance of temporary organizations with quantitative and qualitative research methods. Project Management Journal, 49 2: 3-17.
- Steen, John, Macaulay, Sam, Kunz, Nadja and Jackson, John (2018). Understanding the innovation ecosystem in mining and what the digital revolution means for it. In Martin J. Clifford, Robert K. Perrons, Saleem H. Ali and Tim A. Grice (Ed.), Extracting innovations: mining, energy, and technological change in the digital age (pp. 3-26) New York, NY, United States: CRC Press.
- Steen, John, Ford, Jerad A. and Verreynne, Martie-Louise (2017) Symbols, sublimes, solutions, and problems: a garbage can model of megaprojects. Project Management Journal, 48 6: 117-131.
- MacAulay, Samuel C., Steen, John and Kastelle, Tim (2017) The search environment is not (always) benign: reassessing the risks of organizational search. Industrial and Corporate Change, . doi:10.1093/icc/dtx045
- Tisdell, Clem , Ahmad, Shabbir , Nadia, Agha , Steen, John and Verreynne, Martie-Louise (2017). Loans, Wealth Creation and the Socioeconomic Situation of Women in the Taluka Area of the Khairpur District, Sindh, Pakistan: A Study Based on Interviews with Female Focal Groups. Social Economics, Policy and Development 62, School of Economics, University of Queensland.
- Hayward, Mathew, Caldwell, Andrew, Steen, John, Gow, David and Liesch, Peter (2017) Entrepreneurs' capital budgeting orientations and innovation outputs: evidence from Australian biotechnology firms. Long Range Planning, 50 2: 121-133. doi:10.1016/j.lrp.2016.06.002
- Mitchell, Paul, Steen, John, Sartorio, Afonso, Bolton, Wayne, MacAulay, Samuel C., Higgins, Louise, Kunz, Nadja, Yameogo, Theo, Hoogedeure, Wim and Jackson, John (2017) How do you prepare for tomorrow's mine today? :
- Ford, Jerad A., Verreynne, Martie-Louise and Steen, John (2017) Limits to networking capabilities: relationship trade-offs and innovation. Industrial Marketing Management, .
- 2014 Australian Learning and Teaching Council National Award for Programs that Enhance Student Learning (Masters of Business Administration)
- 2013 UQ Award for Programs that Enhance Student Learning (Masters of Business Administration)
- 2008 Australian Learning and Teaching Council Citation for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning for excellence in business strategy case study teaching and coaching
- 2008 UQ Business School Award for Excellence in Industry Engagement
- 2007 UQ citation for outstanding contributions to student learning
- 2004 UQ Business School Award for Teaching Excellence at the postgraduate level.
|Creating wealth in smallholders farms through efficient credit systems in Pakistan||Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research||2017-2018||$219,681|
|Developing Entrepreneurs: An interdisciplinary, experiential learning approach to creating an innovative and entrepreneurial mindset.||UQ Teaching Innovation Grants||2016-2018||$136,000|
|The open innovation process: Factors and technologies that matter||ARC Discovery||2016-2018||$330,000|
|The perception and management of uncertainty in megaprojects: the role of domain decisions||Project Management Institute||2016-2017||$67,154|
|Measuring economic trends and benefits of CSG development on local businesses (SME sub-project)||Centre for Coal Seam Gas||2016||$136,546|
|Farmer's capabilities, productivity, and profitability: A case study of smallholders in selected agro zones in Pakistan||Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research||2015-2016||$165,000|
|Small business research infrastructure access||Australian Government Department of Industry and Science||2015||$53,680|
|Growing Business in Redlands Survey 2015||Redlands City Council||2015||$30,757|
|What is a world class SME?||Enterprise Connect||2012||Undisclosed|
|Oil and Gas Productivity and Innovation Study||Ernst and Young||2012||Undisclosed|
|Innovation and performance in Australian oil and gas megaprojects||UQ Collaboration and Industry Engagement||2012||Undisclosed|
|Digital Capability Assessment of Brisbane Businesses||Ernst & Young||2012||Undisclosed|
|Capability Technology Demonstrator Program Analysis||DSTO||2012||Undisclosed|
|Brisbane Innovation Scorecard||Brisbane Marketing||2012||Undisclosed|
|Brisbane City Council Innovation Survey||Brisbane City Council||2012||Undisclosed|
|Applying the Innovation Scorecard to Brisbane||Department of Innovation, Industry, Science and Research||2011||Undisclosed|
|Innovation and dynamic networks in project-based firms||ARC Discovery||2009||Undisclosed|
|Complex networks and innovation||UQ Early career research grant||2007||Undisclosed|
|Complex networks and the world trade web||ARC Centre for Complex Systems||2006||Undisclosed|
|Vascular control mitochondrial proton leak in resting muscle||ARC Discovery||1996-1998||Undisclosed|