- Director of Studies, Faculty of Business, Economics & Law
- Head, School of Commerce, University of Queensland, December 1996 to date.
- Dean, Faculty of Commerce and Economics, The University of Queensland, 1990 to 1995.
- Professor of Finance, Department of Commerce, The University of Queensland, July 1983 to date. (Commonwealth Bank Professor of Banking & Finance, 1997 to date).
- Reader, Department of Commerce, The University of Queensland, January 1983 to June 1983.
- Senior Lecturer, Department of Commerce, The University of Queensland, 1974 to 1982.
- Lecturer, Department of Commerce, The University of Queensland, 1969 to 1973. (On leave of absence, in Canada, September 1971 to 1973).
Visiting Academic Positions:
- Visiting Professor, Faculty of Commerce and Business Administration, University of British Columbia, July-Dec., 1983, and July-Dec., 1987.
- Visiting Senior Lecturer, Australian Graduate School of Management, University of New South Wales, July-Dec., 1979. Business Positions:
- Director, Australia and International Holdings Ltd, 1996 to date.
- Director, Allmembers Management Co. Ltd., management company of Allmembers Property and Equity Trust, February 1984 to July 1986.
- Bank Officer, Commonwealth Banking Corporation mid 1964 to 1968.
- Insurance Clerk, Commercial Union Assurance Co. Ltd., 1962 to mid 1964.
Teaching in executive programs in accounting, corporate finance, and portfolio management
- Securities Institute of Australia, 1970, 71.
- Summer schools in corporate financial management (ASPCAs, ICA, Chartered Institute of Secretaries), 1970, 71.
- Australian Institute of Management, 1976, 77.
- AGSM, University of New South Wales, 1979, 1981 to 84.
- Executive Development Program, GSM, The University of Queensland, 1982 to 86, 1988, 1990.
- Advanced Management Program, Bangkok University, 1988.
- Advanced Management Program, Griffith University, 1984 to 86, 1989 to 91.
- Coopers and Lybrand, Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, 1988, 89, 93.
- KPMG Peat Marwick, Brisbane, 1989.
Australia Post, Brisbane, 1990.
Australian Institute of Company Directors, 1995 to 97.
Consultant to Australian Financial System Inquiry (Campbell Committee) for section "Business Taxation", 1980.
Consultant to National Companies and Securities Commission, Securities Information Review, 1986.
Consulting assignments in accounting and finance for firms in the building supplies, light engineering, sugar, finance, insurance, food, gas, and consumer durables industries, and for several industry organisations. Expert witness in cases involving company valuations.
Several examples include:
- Commissioned reports, “Cost of Capital in the Public Sector”, Qeensland Treasury Corporation, 1996, 97 & 99.
- Expert witness, News Corp vs ARL & Ors (Super League Case), 1995
- Expert witness, AMP Society and Pacific Fair Shopping Centre Compensation Claims, 1994.
- Commissioned report, "Differential Share Voting Rights", The News Corporation Ltd, submission to the Australian Stock Exchange, 1993.
- Idemitsu Queensland P/L vs Pacific Coal P/L and Agipcoal Australia P/L, Queensland Court of Appeal, 1992. Project valuation for damages.
- Consultant to Elgas Ltd. Deregulation of the supply of bulk liquefied petroleum gas in Queensland. 1986-87.
- Bread Manufacturers of Queensland. Design, implementation & advice on the model of bread pricing in Queensland: 1984-89.