- Corporate-Community Engagement
- From sound theoretical communication principles, develop practical means for corporations, organisations, and governments to engage communities effectively in such areas as indigenous relations, waste management, and local issues.
- Critical discourse analysis
- Applying discourse analysis to a variety of discursive sites, particularly technical, corporate, and political communication.
- Developing a theory of wisdom from Aristotelian and psychological theory to apply to management and leadership.
- McKenna, Bernard (2018) Workers' capital: industry funds and the fight for universal superannuation in Australia. Australian Journal of Politics and History, 64 1: 147-149. doi:10.1111/ajph.12435
- Fein, Erich C., McKenna, Bernard, Bernobic, Iris and Ahmed, Ezaz (2017). Mapping smart power onto the cardinal virtues and cross-cultural leadership dimensions. In Varda Muhlbauer and Wes Harry (Ed.), Redefining management: smart power perspectives (pp. 107-125) Cham, Switzerland: Springer International Publishing. doi:10.1007/978-3-319-69209-8_7
- Kriyantono, Rachmat and Mckenna, Bernard (2017) Developing a Culturally-Relevant Public Relations Theory for Indonesia. Jurnal Komunikasi-Malaysian Journal of Communication, 33 1: 1-16.
- McKenna, Bernard (2017). Work-life balance. In Deborah C. Poff and Alex C. Michalos (Ed.), Springer encyclopedia of business and professional ethics (pp. 1-4) Heidelberg: Springer International Publishing. doi:10.1007/978-3-319-23514-1_176-1
- McKenna, Bernard (2017). Aging and ethics. In Deborah C. Poff and Alex C. Michalos (Ed.), Springer encyclopedia of business and professional ethics (pp. 1-5) Heidelberg, Germany: Springer International Publishing. doi:10.1007/978-3-319-23514-1_171-1
- McKenna, Bernard (2017). Embodying a wise graduate disposition in business school education. In Wendelin Küpers and Olen Gunnlaugson (Ed.), Wisdom learning: perspectives on wising-up business and management education (pp. 41-61) London, United Kingdom: Routledge.
- McKenna, Bernard (2017). Management. In Craig R. Scott, Laurie Lewis, James R. Barker, Joann Keyton, Timothy Kuhn and Paaige K. Turner (Ed.), The international encyclopedia of organizational communication () Chichester, West Sussex, United Kingdom: Wiley Blackwell. doi:10.1002/9781118955567
- McKenna, Bernard, Verreynne, Martie-Louise and Waddell, Neal W. (2016) Locating gendered work practices: a typology. International Journal of Manpower, 37 6: 1085-1107. doi:10.1108/IJM-12-2015-0210
- McKenna, Bernard, Zacher, Hannes, Sattari Ardabili, Farzad and Mohebbi, Hassan (2016) Career Adapt-Abilities Scale—Iran Form: psychometric properties and relationships with career satisfaction and entrepreneurial intentions. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 93 81-91. doi:10.1016/j.jvb.2016.01.004
- McKenna, Bernard, Biloslavo, Roberto and Trnavcevic, Anita (2016). Wisdom in praxis: how engineers use practical wisdom in their decision making. In Nikung Dalal, Ali Intezari and Marty H. Heitz (Ed.), Practical wisdom in the age of technology: insights, issues, and questions for a new millennium (pp. 79-100) Abingdon, Oxon, United Kingdom: Routledge.
- Member, International Communication Association
- Member, Academy of Management
- Member, Society of Business Communicators
- Winner of the 2007 University of Queensland Business School Excellence in Research award.
|LP0560277: Improving local government solid waste management practices through deliberative citizen decision-making and behaviour change communication strategies.||ARC Linkage Grant||2005-2007||$96,414|
|LP0453819: Site-Level Community Engagement Processes in the Australian Minerals Industry: A Comparative Analysis||ARC Linkage Grant||2004-2006||$180,275|