- Corporate-Community Engagement
- From sound theoretical communication principles, develop practical means for corporations, organisations, and governments to engage communities effectively in such areas as indigenous relations, waste management, and local issues.
- Critical discourse analysis
- Applying discourse analysis to a variety of discursive sites, particularly technical, corporate, and political communication.
- Developing a theory of wisdom from Aristotelian and psychological theory to apply to management and leadership.
- McKenna, Bernard (2018) Workers' capital: industry funds and the fight for universal superannuation in Australia. Australian Journal of Politics and History, 64 1: 147-149. doi:10.1111/ajph.12435
- Intezari, Ali and McKenna, Bernard (2018). Preparing leaders for the Anthropocene era. In: Australian Business Ethics Network (ABEN), Auckland, New Zealand, (40-41). 9-11 December 2018.
- Intezari, Ali and McKenna, Bernard (2018). Creating organizational culture. In Leadership: regional and global perspectives (pp. 160-189) Cambridge, United Kingdom: Cambridge University Press.
- McKenna, Bernard and Intezari, Ali (2018). Power, politics and influence. In Leadership: regional and global perspectives (pp. 190-218) Cambridge, United Kingdom: Cambridge University Press.
- McKenna, Bernard (2017). Management. In Craig R. Scott, Laurie Lewis, James R. Barker, Joann Keyton, Timothy Kuhn and Paaige K. Turner (Ed.), The international encyclopedia of organizational communication () Chichester, West Sussex, United Kingdom: Wiley Blackwell. doi:10.1002/9781118955567
- McKenna, Bernard (2017). Work-life balance. In Deborah C. Poff and Alex C. Michalos (Ed.), Springer encyclopedia of business and professional ethics (pp. 1-4) Heidelberg: Springer International Publishing. doi:10.1007/978-3-319-23514-1_176-1
- McKenna, Bernard (2017). Aging and ethics. In Deborah C. Poff and Alex C. Michalos (Ed.), Springer encyclopedia of business and professional ethics (pp. 1-5) Heidelberg, Germany: Springer International Publishing. doi:10.1007/978-3-319-23514-1_171-1
- Fein, Erich C., McKenna, Bernard, Bernobic, Iris and Ahmed, Ezaz (2017). Mapping smart power onto the cardinal virtues and cross-cultural leadership dimensions. In Varda Muhlbauer and Wes Harry (Ed.), Redefining management: smart power perspectives (pp. 107-125) Cham, Switzerland: Springer International Publishing. doi:10.1007/978-3-319-69209-8_7
- Kriyantono, Rachmat and Mckenna, Bernard (2017) Developing a Culturally-Relevant Public Relations Theory for Indonesia. Jurnal Komunikasi-Malaysian Journal of Communication, 33 1: 1-16.
- McKenna, Bernard (2017). Embodying a wise graduate disposition in business school education. In Wendelin Küpers and Olen Gunnlaugson (Ed.), Wisdom learning: perspectives on wising-up business and management education (pp. 41-61) London, United Kingdom: Routledge. doi:10.4324/9781315547039
- Member, International Communication Association
- Member, Academy of Management
- Member, Society of Business Communicators
- Winner of the 2007 University of Queensland Business School Excellence in Research award.
|LP0560277: Improving local government solid waste management practices through deliberative citizen decision-making and behaviour change communication strategies.||ARC Linkage Grant||2005-2007||$96,414|
|LP0453819: Site-Level Community Engagement Processes in the Australian Minerals Industry: A Comparative Analysis||ARC Linkage Grant||2004-2006||$180,275|