- Corporate-Community Engagement
- From sound theoretical communication principles, develop practical means for corporations, organisations, and governments to engage communities effectively in such areas as indigenous relations, waste management, and local issues.
- Critical discourse analysis
- Applying discourse analysis to a variety of discursive sites, particularly technical, corporate, and political communication.
- Developing a theory of wisdom from Aristotelian and psychological theory to apply to management and leadership.
- McKenna, Bernard, Verreynne, Martie-Louise and Waddell, Neal W. (2016) Locating gendered work practices: a typology. International Journal of Manpower, 37 6: 1085-1107. doi:10.1108/IJM-12-2015-0210
- McKenna, Bernard, Zacher, Hannes, Sattari Ardabili, Farzad and Mohebbi, Hassan (2016) Career Adapt-Abilities Scale—Iran Form: psychometric properties and relationships with career satisfaction and entrepreneurial intentions. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 93 81-91. doi:10.1016/j.jvb.2016.01.004
- McKenna, Bernard, Biloslavo, Roberto and Trnavcevic, Anita (2016). Wisdom in praxis: how engineers use practical wisdom in their decision making. In Nikung Dalal, Ali Intezari and Marty H. Heitz (Ed.), Practical wisdom in the age of technology: insights, issues, and questions for a new millennium (pp. 79-100) Abingdon, Oxon, United Kingdom: Routledge.
- Fielding, Kelly S., van Kasteren, Yasmin, Louis, Winnifred, McKenna, Bernard, Russell, Sally and Spinks, Anneliese (2016) Using individual householder survey responses to predict household environmental outcomes: the cases of recycling and water conservation. Resources, Conservation and Recycling, 106 90-97. doi:10.1016/j.resconrec.2015.11.009
- Zacher, Hannes, McKenna, Bernard, Rooney, David and Gold, Steven (2015) Wisdom in the Military Context. Military Psychology, 27 3: 142-154. doi:10.1037/mil0000070
- Oktaviani, Fitri, Rooney, David, McKenna, Bernard and Zacher, Hannes (2015) Family, feudalism and selfishness: Looking at Indonesian leadership through a wisdom lens. Leadership, 12 5: 538-563. doi:10.1177/1742715015574319
- Rowlands, Terry, Waddell, Neal and McKenna, Bernard (2015) Are we there yet? A technique to determine theoretical saturation. Journal of Computer Information Systems, 56 1: 40-47.
- Greaves, Claire E., Zacher, Hannes, McKenna, Bernard and Rooney, David (2014) Wisdom and narcissism as predictors of transformational leadership. Leadership and Organization Development Journal, 35 4: 335-358. doi:10.1108/LODJ-07-2012-0092
- Smith, Lauren, McKenna, Bernard and Rooney, David (2014). Reconceptualizing business education for knowledge work: comparing corporate cults and highly effective organizations. In Michael A. Peters, Tina Besley and Daniel Araya (Ed.), The new development paradigm: education, knowledge economy and digital futures (pp. 145-160) New York, United States: Peter Lang.
- McKenna, Bernard, Rooney, David and Kenworthy, Amy L. (2013) Introduction: wisdom and management-a guest-edited special collection of resource reviews for management educators. Academy of Management Learning & Education, 12 2: 306-311. doi:10.5465/amle.2013.0112
- Member, International Communication Association
- Member, Academy of Management
- Member, Society of Business Communicators
- Winner of the 2007 University of Queensland Business School Excellence in Research award.
|LP0560277: Improving local government solid waste management practices through deliberative citizen decision-making and behaviour change communication strategies.||ARC Linkage Grant||2005-2007||$96,414|
|LP0453819: Site-Level Community Engagement Processes in the Australian Minerals Industry: A Comparative Analysis||ARC Linkage Grant||2004-2006||$180,275|