Master of Tourism Leadership
Are you a professional in the tourism, hospitality or events industry and looking to step up your career? The Master of Tourism Leadership will build on your existing experience to strengthen your leadership qualities and advance your career.
At a glance
Designed for those with a combination of academic and industry experience in tourism, hospitality or events, this internationally recognised program will strengthen your leadership capacity and give you the skills to sustainably manage tourism products, resources and attractions.
In addition to building core knowledge, the Master of Tourism Leadership exposes you to real-life challenges through industry professionals and consultancy projects. UQ Business School is one of the world’s top-ranked universities for tourism research with over 25 years of experience in hospitality and tourism.
As a leading global institution, we’re renowned for our cutting-edge research, close links with industry and quality of our academic staff. The Master of Tourism Leadership provides comprehensive learning opportunities that stretch beyond the classroom and development of fundamental leadership and management skills.
Feel supported throughout your degree knowing that UQ Business School is home to some of the most innovative educators in Australia. They are bound to challenge your thinking and ensure you stay ahead of the game. Our courses reflect the world right now and address constantly evolving issues in areas like sustainability, climate, entrepreneurship and new technologies.
Who is this degree for?
The Master of Tourism Leadership is designed for those who have had previous experience in the tourism industry and looking to progress their career or move into leadership, consultancy or research positions.
The Master of Tourism Leadership is a hands-on course that combines a mixture of lectures, presentations, debates, group work and discussions to build specialist and relevant industry knowledge.
The Master of Tourism Leadership uses a problem-based learning model – you’ll become an active participant and tackle real life issues presented by representatives from industry.
Develop a firm understanding in compulsory courses covering industry consulting, and advanced research methods and analysis.
At the same time you will build specialist knowledge by choosing six courses, including a dedicated research thesis or consultancy project, from one of the areas below:
- Service management
- Tourism development
- Tourism marketing
- Visitor management
A professional consultancy project involves applying research to a specific industry problem and is jointly supervised with an industry mentor.
What career outcomes are there?
The Master of Tourism Leadership opens up international career options in the public, private and not-for-profit sector.
Our graduates have typically secured roles in leadership, consultancy and research fields, however, your personal career opportunities will be influenced by your particular areas of specialisation.
Because our graduates have been exposed to current industry problems, industry networking and problem-based learning during their studies, graduates can usually progress from their former roles and through the management ranks.
With a strong emphasis on research and research skills, our graduates have also chosen to pursue a Master of Philosophy or PhD program.
As a UQ student, you have access to a range of services to prepare for a successful career:
- The Student Employability Team (SET) – assists students with accessing career opportunities and managing their careers. SET programs give students an edge by helping build industry experience and develop lifelong employability skills. Contact their team of employability specialists to set and achieve your career goals.
- Networking events – these events help students establish connections with industry professionals.
- Employer presentations on campus – provides opportunities to meet UQ graduates currently employed in industry and understand what the employer is looking for in a new hire.
- UQ Careers Fair - an annual university wide event for students to meet with over 130 potential employers to source information on career opportunities.
- Global Experiences Expo - discover how UQ provides students with opportunities to study overseas, or get support to work, learn or volunteer on a short trip.