Applicants for the Graduate Certificate in Business Administration program must have:
- a Bachelor's degree or equivalent with a GPA of at least 4.00 on a 7 point scale and four years full-time work experience post-graduation including at least two of the four years full-time work experience gained while working in a dedicated supervisory/management role as approved by the Executive Dean; or
- seven years full-time work experience including at least three of the seven years full-time work experience gained while working in a dedicated supervisory/management role as approved by the Executive Dean.
The application procedure for the program varies depending on whether you are a domestic or international student.
The general nature of the Graduate Certificate in Business Administration ensures that graduates develop well-rounded skills in all aspects of business management. Students will complete the compulsory course Management Frameworks and select an additional three courses from the MBA list which cover all the key business areas.
UQ Business School is known for its strong links with the business world and our lecturers act as consultants to leading companies worldwide. It means that knowledge gained through research is tested in the high-pressure world of consultancy, which ensures our teaching is always fresh and relevant.
The Graduate Certificate in Business Administration program takes six months of full-time study to complete, or the equivalent part-time.
The standard full-time load for a program is 8 units per semester (this usually means 4 courses worth 2 units each per semester). Full-time study is defined as 75% or more of the standard full-time load for a program (i.e. at least 6 units per semester, or 3-4 courses, for most programs).
International students must be enrolled in 8 units per semester.
It is estimated that for each course a student would have approximately 3-5 contact hours in lectures and tutorials, and would also need to do additional hours of study.
Australian students can study part-time (usually 1 to 2 courses per semester). In some cases, classes are scheduled multiple times per week and students can choose either day or evening classes. This does not occur in all programs. If you intend to study solely in the evenings, please check the availability and timing of classes.
MBA study options
The Graduate Certificate in Business Administration can be used as a stepping stone towards the completion of an MBA. If you are planning to articulate from the Graduate Certificate in Business Administration through to the MBA, UQ Business School offers three different MBA options to suit your lifestyle and work commitments.
These options offer flexibility while acknowledging the importance of the ‘cohort effect’ – the extra value generated when students can clearly identify with their classmates and share sufficient class and study time to develop the lasting relationships which is a valuable part of any MBA experience.
The Accelerated MBA
The accelerated program can be completed in 12 months and is taught in intensive blocks between early January and November.
The Streamlined MBA
The streamlined program can be completed in 24 months alongside your job and is structured to include some evening classes, some weekend intensive classes and some one-week intensive mode offerings.
The Flexible MBA
If your commitments are such that you expect to need more than two years to complete your degree, you can structure your program to suit your needs by choosing to study in the evenings, taking weekend intensive courses or by taking one-week intensive mode offerings.
Overseas study option
Build international experience and gain an insight into another culture by spending a semester studying abroad. The UQ Abroad program nominates eligible students to study at partner universities around the world. Overseas study allows you to broaden your knowledge, discover new career opportunities, improve your language skills and make new contacts.
What outcomes to expect from your degree
The Graduate Certificate in Business Administration equips students with general business skills relevant to a wide range of management careers. Graduates can expect to find roles in general management or in business consultancy.
How to shape your career
As a UQ student, you have access to a range of services to prepare for a successful career:
- The MBA Career Resource Centre – to help you find opportunities and manage your career. Career consultants provide a wide range of services to identify your career options and get you the job you want. They can support you with everything from careers guidance and workshops to arranging placements, providing access to employers and practical assistance with CVs and applications.
- CareerLinks program - giving you access to direct advice from industry guests.
- Networking events - to help you establish connections with industry professionals.
- Employer presentations on campus - an opportunity to meet graduates currently employed and understand what the employer is looking for in a new hire.
- UQ Careers Fair - an annual university wide event for students to meet with over 130 potential employers to source information on career opportunities.
- Global Experiences Expo - discover how you can take part in UQ’s global programs. Study overseas as part of your degree, or get support to work, learn or volunteer on a short trip.
UQ Business School offers a wide range of advice and support for future and current students.
Domestic student enquiries
To find out more about applications or programs for Australian (domestic) students, call +61 7 3346 8100 (open 8:30am to 4:30 pm from Monday to Friday except university and public holidays) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
International student enquiries
For further enquiries about applications or programs, international students can call +61 3 8676 7004 from outside Australia or 1800 671 980 from inside Australia (free call).
Find details of international educational representatives
Find out more about fees, charges and financial assistance
Student centres are located on each campus including St Lucia and provide a one-stop shop for student administration enquiries – including enrolment, timetables, fees, graduation, academic transcripts and ID cards – and general enquiries.
Call +61 7 3365 2600 from 8.30am – 5.00pm Monday to Friday or visit the student centre page.
Follow the links below to access further information and support: