Business Global Mates
Explore the World by Making Global Friends First
Business Global Mates is an exciting opportunity for new international students to experience Australian culture and meet new friends. The interactive program offers peer-based mentoring through social activities and regular catch-ups. The program is open to new international students studying in their first semester a Business School program at either an undergraduate or postgraduate level.
Help make the experience of international students fun and memorable as they settle into life at UQ, Brisbane and Australia.
Who can be a mentor?
Benefits for mentors
- Having fun with other students in the Business School
- Making new friends and exchanging cultures with students from other countries
- Developing interpersonal, leadership and communication skills
- Passing on knowledge you’ve gained from your university experience into tips and guidance for new students
- Receive recognition towards the UQ Employability Award
What’s expected of mentors?
- Attendance at activities with your mentees
- Regular catch-ups with your mentees to talk, make sure they’re settling in, and providing assistance or a friendly ear
- A willingness to share your time doing unofficial activities with your mentees, this could be eating out or visiting local sights in Brisbane or surrounding areas
- Patience, as your mentee may still be learning about the English language and their new life in Australia
Who can be a mentee?
If you're an international student and enrolled in your first semester of a Business School program at either an undergraduate or postgraduate level, then you're eligible to apply.
Benefits for mentees:
- A smoother transition into your university life
- Form new friends
- Fun activities around the UQ campus
- Explore what Brisbane has to offer
- Experience Australian culture and share your own
What's expected of mentees:
- A willingness to meet other students and participate in organised activities
- Committing to meeting up with your mentor regularly