Bouncing back into your career

Tips to overcome a professional setback or break

From planned parental leave to suddenly being made redundant, it’s not unusual to experience a break in our careers at some point – but how exactly do we bounce back?

For many of us, who we are is tied to our professional identity, so it’s easy to feel discouraged returning to the workforce after experiencing a setback or taking a break.

Some of the most successful figures in history have been knocked back; Oprah Winfrey was fired from her first job as a TV anchor, Walt Disney’s first animation studio was in debt before Snow White was released, and even Steve Jobs reflected that being fired from Apple allowed him to enter one of the most creative periods in his life.

What if the end can be the beginning of something more fruitful in our lives?

Management experts from The University of Queensland (UQ) Business School and industry professionals shared key insights and tools to help you build resilience and overcome the challenges that can arise from a career break.

1. Take a step back and chart a new career path

UQ Master of Business Administration (MBA) candidate Elise Harris decided at the age of 15 to become an airline captain and spent the next 2 decades working toward that goal – then the COVID-19 pandemic hit. With only one flight left to turn that goal into reality, airlines stopped operating, and Harris was made redundant.

“Working out what I should do next was difficult,” Harris said.

“Being an airline pilot, I was very pigeonholed. It's a unique career, where you don’t come out with a university degree that can translate directly into another profession.”

Harris’s success and career journey in a male-dominated profession intrigued people, but when it came to asking for a job, she felt prospective employers couldn’t understand what skills she’d bring to the table.

“One morning, I got back from a surf to clear my head and decided to write down a list of skills that I felt I had achieved over the years,” Harris said.

“I was surprised I ended up writing more than a full page of skills, so then I looked at that list and began to consider, what could that translate into? I decided that I wanted to become a board member.”

According to UQ Business School management expert Dr Michael Collins, many people don’t realise that their existing skills are often transferrable to new career pathways.  

“Undertaking a personal skills audit can be the best first step,” Dr Collins said.

“Ask yourself, what skills have I developed in my previous roles, and how could they easily transfer into another occupation?”

Dr Collins noted that people also gained and maintained transferrable skills while searching for a new job.

“Spending time finding your next job takes a fair amount of work and effort in itself, so you can reflect on the abilities you’ve been honing during that process and communicate their value to prospective employers.”

Key tip: Prepare your own personal skills audit.
By creating a list of your transferrable skills, you can better identify prospective career paths or communicate your abilities in a job interview.

2. Stay motivated and develop a positive mindset

After experiencing a major career setback, Harris threw herself into new opportunities. With fresh obstacles to face and overcome, she became more content and confident in confronting change.

“I think a lot of people don't like change, and likewise, I was very comfortable where I was,” Harris said.

“I'd been working for the same company for over 10 years, so I found a new comfort in pushing through that challenge and embracing change.

“Doing that made me more confident in my abilities, what I could achieve, and what I had to offer.”

With a new ambition to work her way up the corporate ladder and become a board member, Harris decided to apply for the UQ MBA to transition out of aviation and gain a degree future employers could relate to.

“I honestly felt like I’d done a PhD to become a captain, but formally I had no qualifications,” Harris said.

“I thought an MBA could be a great all-rounder degree to prepare me for a new career path, and it helped me land an investor relations role that I’ve found equally fulfilling and enjoyable as when I was flying.”

Find out how you can achieve a UQ MBA without a degree and prepare for career opportunities across industries.

When returning to the workforce after a break or setback, Associate Lecturer in the UQ MBA Lisa Barham also advocates for keeping an optimistic outlook.

“After coming back from a career break, you can feel a bit discouraged,” Barham said.

“Having that positive mindset is really important for yourself and your personal happiness, but it also gives you the ability to communicate to others where you’ve been and what you’ve been up to.”

Immersing yourself in meaningful activities can boost your confidence when it comes time to discuss your career break with others, Dr Collins explained.

“It can help to volunteer in your local community, learn a new skill or language, or even work with a friend in their own business,” Dr Collins said.

“It keeps you active, but it also keeps you socially connected.

“Your professional network is generally less dynamic when you’re not working, so try to reach out to your connections and catch up for a coffee.”

Key tip: Nurture existing and potential professional relationships.
Push yourself to stay social and continue building your network by meeting up with former colleagues or attending industry events.

3. Reflect on personal ambitions to clarify professional goals

Barham started her career as an accountant before embarking on a non-linear professional path across roles in consultancy, finance and higher education.

Throughout her career, Barham has had multiple career breaks that allowed her to start a family and reflect on her lifelong goals.

“By taking a career break, I was able to try different things and really concentrate on what I’d like to learn next,” Barham said.

“I gained valuable time and space to decide where I wanted to take my career and understand why that mattered.”

When Barham took time away from an organisation she’d been with for 7 years, the importance of separating her professional and personal life became clearer to her.

“Having been at the same job for so long, I noticed how entwined everything in my life had become,” she said.

“Since taking a break from that environment, I’ve become more attuned to what I need in my career and can now keep work and home separate.”

Key tip: Invest time in activities outside your career.
Whether you’re spending valuable time with your family or discovering a new hobby, try to use your break from work to explore new interests and learn who you are beyond the role you fill.

After working in the Australian Defence Force for 15 years, Dr Collins transitioned into consulting and faced his own career setback a few years later when he was made redundant from a senior leadership role. Similarly, Dr Collins found time away created space for a new perspective.

“I knew it was important that I spent time figuring out what I wanted, but also what I didn’t want, particularly in terms of the work environment,” Dr Collins said.

“We often attach our identity to our career, but we’re a lot more than that.

“We all have roles outside of work, whether we’re a partner, a family member, a friend, part of a sporting team, and so on.”

When in between jobs or taking an extended career break, Dr Collins acknowledged that many may experience a sense of guilt from not working.

“Try to keep in mind that it’s quite common throughout one’s career to be looking for new work or making a creative transition,” Dr Collins said.

“For many, a richer career filled with a variety of different roles can be much more satisfying than staying in the same profession.”
– Dr Michael Collins
A black-and-white headshot of Dr Michael Collins, a middle aged man with light hair, smiling broadly while standing in front of a sandstone building

Dr Michael Collins

Dr Michael Collins joined the Business School after completing a PhD in Organisation and Management at UNSW Business School.

Prior to this, he served as a Commissioned Officer in the Australian Defence Force for 15 years and then as a director of a management consultancy until 2018. During this period, he gained extensive executive leadership experience across various organisations and cultures.

Dr Collins’s consulting expertise encompasses organisation development, talent management and leadership assessment.

A black-and-white headshot of Lisa Barham, a woman with short light hair, who is smiling while standing against a plain background

Lisa Barham

Lisa Barham started her career as a public accountant, before broadening her expertise as a financial professional in listed, private and not-for-profit firms.

Specialising in financial modelling, budget and forecasting, Barham has extensive experience as a consultant and business analyst and helps organisations make clear decisions backed by data.

A UQ MBA alum, Barham joined the UQ Business School as an Associate Lecturer and now also teaches into the MBA and Executive Education program.

A black-and-white headshot of Elise Harris, a woman with shoulder-length dark hair, smiling while standing with people in the background

Elise Harris

Elise Harris is an aviation and business professional with experience across a number of industries.

Harris started her career as the youngest employed airline pilot at 23 years old and later became the first female airline captain for Virgin New Zealand. After successfully pivoting away from aviation during the pandemic, she gained employment working in investor relations for a venture capital syndicate.

Harris is currently a UQ MBA candidate working toward her long-term goal to one day join a corporate board.